Today’s crucial headlines from GenerationalDynamics.com
- Reports indicate Egypt, Italy, Russia planning military action in Libya
- Egypt court declares Hamas to be a terrorist company
- Egypt and Turkey may attempt to create a ‘‘ Sunni front ‘with Saudi Arabia
Reports suggest Egypt, Italy, Russia planning military action in Libya
Russian warships in the Mediterranean (Russia Today)
Various unconfirmed reports are arising suggesting that there may be joint global action prepared in Libya as early as next week.
Egypt is currently performing air campaign against ISIS-linked targets in Derna, near to where Egyptian Coptics were massacred recently, as shown in a gruesome video. Debka reports that Egypt’s president Abdel al-Fattah al-Sisi is planning additionally action in Libya, consisting of more air campaign and possible ground troops, within a couple of days. According to the report, Egyptian task force and marine forces are getting ready for sea landings to seize Derna and destroy the terrorist aspects there. If this attack is actually introduced, it will be the very first time in modern times that an Arab nation has sent ground forces into another Arab country.
Al-Jazeera tv reports that the Italian navy is getting all set to carrycomplete advanced military drills off the coast of Libya as early as Monday. Although Italy declares that it will certainly be a routine workout, there are manymuch more vessels taking part in this year’s workout than have in the past, which Italy explains by saying that they are testing out sophisticated new innovations.
There are a number of factorsreasons Italy is pursuing this show of force:
- Italy considers the flood of migrants from Libya into Italy to be an existential threat to Italy itself, since there might be ISIS-trained terrorists smuggled in, together with the other migrants. Italy may be preparing some sort of military action in Libya in conjunction with Egypt’s air campaign and other operations.
- The GreenStream pipeline is a gas pipeline running below the Mediterranan Sea from Libya to Sicily. The pipeline is crucial to economic relations between Italy and Libya. In current months, there have been attacks by gunmen on oil setups in Libya, forcing some ports to shut down. The brand-new program of marine force may be connected to threats of attack or sabotage on the pipeline.
- For over a year, Italy ran a search and rescue program called Mare Nostrum (Our Sea) that conserved the lives of countless migrants attempting to travel from Libya to Italy. This program required Italian naval vessels near the Libyan coastline. In November, the program ended and an EU program called Triton changed it, but Triton limits its operations to only 30 miles off the Italian coastline. Triton has been thought about unsatisfactory due to the fact that lots ofmuch more migrants are drowning. Italy’s new program of marine force may be an effort to bring back a part of the Mare Nostrum program.
- Related to the last point, on Saturday there were big demonstrations in Rome by Italy’s anti-immigrant Northern League party for the government to do more to keep immigrants out. The naval program of force might assist to mollify the protestors.
Some reports suggest that Russia has meant a desire to take parttake part in a naval blockade of Libya to avoid arm products from leaving Libya for other countries. Russia might play a duty in this due to the fact that it already has a marine fleet in the Mediterranean.
These are all unofficial reports of possible military action in Libya by Egypt, Italy and Russia. There are no reports of possible participation by Nato or the United States. Debka and Cairo Post
Egypt court states Hamas to be a terrorist company
Egypt on Saturday ended up being the first Arab country to name Hamas as a terrorist company. The United States and the European Union have actually named Hamas as a terror group. An EU court took Hamas off the list in December 2014, ruling that the classification was not based on strong legal evidence, but the EU is appealing the court’s decision.
According to a decision on Saturday from the Cairo Court for Urgent Matters:
It has actually been proven without any doubt that the motion has committed acts of sabotage, assassinations and the killing of innocent civilians and members of the militaries and cops in Egypt.
It has been likewise determined with documents that [Hamas] has actually carriedperformed battles that have actually taken lives and damaged institutions and targeted civilians and the militaries workers. It has likewise been ascertained that this activity works for the interests of the terrorist Brotherhood organization [which Egypt has already stated to be a terrorist organization]
About a month ago, the same court proclaimed Hamas’s military wing, Al-Qassam Brigades, to be a terrorist company. Saturday’s judgment makes the political wing a terrorist organization as well.
A Hamas spokesperson rejected all the charges and stated that the judgment was unsafe:
History has tape-recorded Egypt’s support to national liberty motions in the Arab world and Africa, particularly in Palestine. This judgment serves the Israeli profession. It’s a politicized decision that makes up the beginning of Egypt averting its function towards the Palestinian cause. This is a coup against history and an Egyptian abuse of the Palestinian cause and resistance, which fights on behalf of the Arab country. We contact Egypt to reevaluate this harmful choice.
Al Jazeera and Al Ahram (Cairo) and CS Screen and Al Resalah (Palestine)
Egypt and Turkey might try to develop a ‘‘ Sunni front’ with Saudi Arabia
By coincidence or by planning, the presidents of both Egypt and Turkey will certainly be in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, this week. Egypt’s Abdel al-Fattah al-Sisi and Turkey’s Recep Tayyip Erdogan will certainly both be visiting King Salman bin Abdulaziz al Saud, the brand-new king of Saudi Arabia, who has actually changed King Abdullah, who passed away last month.
It is not understood whether Erdogan will certainly ever be in the same space as al-Sisi. The 2 have actually been bitter enemies ever given thatsince a coup by al-Sisi ousted Egypt’s elected president Mohamed Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood government in 2013, and later stated MB to be a terrorist organization. Erdogan’s own political celebration, the AKP, is an Islamist celebration like the Muslim Brotherhood, and they had great relations while Morsi was in power.
There has actually been some speculation that King Salman is going to entirely reverse King Abdullah’s policy on the Muslim Brotherhood. Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates (UAE) had branded MB as a terrorist company, but some are questioning if Salman is going to move from that policy. The Saudi foreign minister just recently said that his government has no problem with the Muslim Brotherhood; our issue is with a little group connected to the company, suggesting that shift is in the works.
Other problems make an Egypt-Turkey rapprochement not likely: Erdogan vitriolicly hates Israel and supports Hamas. Al-Sisi vitriolicly hates Hamas and works carefully with Israel on military matters, specifically in North Sinai. It does n0t seem likely that any meeting, if one even occurs, will be pleasant.
If King Salman is able to pull off a miracle and moderate a brand-new relationship between Egypt and Turkey, then it would appear to be the facility of a new Sunni front in the Mideast, to oppose Iran, Hezbollah and the routine of Bashar al-Assad in Syria. Al Arabiya and Kurdistan and Arab Times
SECRETS: Generational Dynamics, Egypt, Abdel al-Fattah al-Sisi, Libya, GreenStream pipeline, Italy, Mare Nostrum, Triton, Northern League, Russia, Hamas, Gaza, Al-Qassam Brigades, Muslim Brotherhood, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Abdullah II, Salman bin Abdulaziz al Saud, United Arab Emirates, UAE, Sunni Front, Iran, Hezbollah, Syria, Bashar al-Assad
Irreversible internet link to this article
Get daily World View columns by email